Get It Done is built with the Getting Things Done (GTD) methodology by David Allen in mind. The GTD workflow consists of five stages: capture, clarify, organize, reflect, and engage. The different Focus areas allow you to organize your "to do's".
The super short version is this: You have 7 focus areas to divide your tasks.
- Inbox - This is your dumping ground for all tasks that come up during the day.
- Today - These are tasks you want to accomplish today.
- Next - These are tasks you want to tackle tomorrow or very soon.
- Scheduled - Scheduled repeating tasks will display here. (This is a paid feature.)
- Someday - These are tasks that you want to do but are currently not a priority.
- Waiting For - These tasks are currently delegated to somebody else and will require follow-up.
- Reference - Utilize this category to file reference items.
That's it! The idea is that you try to empty your Inbox daily or at least weekly. If the task is something that can be done really quick (~2 minutes), just do it and don't bother filing it. Everything else needs to be filed so that you can remain focused on "Today's" tasks.